Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Sunday, 13 July 2014

I Haven’t Forgotten You! Writers’ Tag.



Hello, hello, hello everyone! Just a quick note to say I haven’t forgotten you all. I’ve been really busy over the past couple of weeks and actually found it nice to take a break from writing. I’ll tell you all about what I’ve been up to in my next post, leaving you with just a few clues in the meantime…




































(Pictures from my Instagram (catherineannmk))




…but for now, I’ve found a short tag to do while I gather my thoughts etc for a real, serious post.

Unfortunately, my blogger friends seem to be dropping like flies at the moment and I’m not sure if I have anyone left to tag! So if you’re reading this and you have a blog or a YouTube channel or something, I tag YOU! Let me know in the comments below if you do this tag so I can see your answers.
If you haven’t got your own home in cyberspace right now, why not answer the questions in my comments section?

Here we go!

1.      What do you write? (short stories, novels?)
I started off writing fiction which I still have a love for, but it fell by the wayside recently because I didn’t have the time or the confidence to carry on. I’m getting back into it though, and am so happy to be.  I suppose I always aim to write a “novel”, though I call them “stories” until they’re really and truly finished!
Right now my attention is focused more on the non-fiction side of things. You can read more in this post.


2. What do you mostly write about?

Fiction-wise (that seems to be what this tag is aimed at) I write about teenagers like myself, though at this point they’re all younger than me. That’s a really fun part of it since I get to laugh about it and say “I remember when I was that age…”
I’m fascinated by characters, personalities, and the various relationships between different people such as parents and children, brothers and sisters, best friends, enemies, and even crushes or boyfriends and girlfriends, though I get a kind of sickly feeling writing about that sort of thing sometimes! It’s just a little cringe-worthy for me to discuss.
As for non-fiction, that’s all aimed at and about teenagers too—it’s all I know!

3. What's your favorite thing about writing?

My favourite thing about fiction writing is that it’s complete escapism—if I’m having a rubbish day, or even if I’m bored, I get to hide away in this world I myself have created with characters who I suppose I almost love. It’s strange, but a nice relief sometimes.
Non-fiction and blogging wise, I just love the reception I receive from fellow writers and readers. When I make a new friend through writing or when someone tells me they like my writing, it means the world and makes me feel much more confident and happy in myself.

4. What/who inspired you to start writing/keep writing?
I’ve always loved making up stories and I suppose every book I’ve read has made me want to write. Authors I’ve admired, especially in my early years, such as JK Rowling, Jacqueline Wilson, Caroline Lawrence and many more have made me want to write a story that, someday, a girl just like me will enjoy.
I began to write fiction prolifically because I was lonely. When you don’t have very many good friends, making them up can be a nice compromise, I suppose! Again, it was the escapism really. So perhaps I would have stopped when I made more friends and became happier? Yes and no. I caught the bug, and lots of my friends, very special people, encouraged me to keep going. I do write less, fiction anyway, because I no longer feel the need to write. Now, I write because I want to.

5. Who's your favourite character that you made up?
That’s an awful thing to ask! It’s painfully difficult to choose and anyway, not many of you are acquainted with any of them!
I love all of my chraracters, when I don’t hate them, and they all have little pieces of me and of my loved ones in them.
However there is one character that comes to mind for whom I have a little soft spot. He is clumsy and awkward (a teenage boy, so that’s no surprise) and extremely clever. He always says the wrong thing at the wrong time and is a complete child, but of course he has the kindest heart. I think I made him up when I was about thirteen or fourteen. Then, some years later, I met someone wonderful with all of those traits and I guess now that’s why I have such a soft spot for that particular character!

6. When did you start writing?
Well, I suppose I’ve always written at school and done little stories at home etc, but I began to write stories “properly” when I was maybe twelve. It was a tremendously exciting time and I remember running to the laptop when I had a new idea, full of delight.
I began to blog about fifteen months ago and have never looked back. Right now I’m not sure what I like best!

7. First story you wrote?
The first real and proper story I ever started is one I’ve gone back to fairly recently. It’s so special to me that I don’t really like to talk about it! We’ll see how the brand new draft goes. My favourite character features in that one.
However the first story I ever actually finished properly was called “Flowers”. It was about a girl who moves house to the countryside (Yes, very familiar indeed), and is determined to keep her distance from everyone and be really cross and miserable all the time. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the ghost next door has other ideas.
It was nice remembering that! I think I’ll dig it out and cringe at it for a while. Lovely.

8. Favourite story you wrote?
Again, the first one, the one with the lovely character, the one I don’t talk about. I suppose I just care about it the most.
But I think the one I was proudest of was one I only got a few chapters into, about two people who find themselves in an empty world. I just feel that the style of writing was the best. It was the first time I really read something back to myself and thought: “I’m not half bad!”

9. Do you have a writing schedule? Like, do you write every day or just when you feel like it?
Never for times! I do plan out my blog posts and make sure I have some up fairly regularly so you don’t all get bored and flake out on me. I always have plenty of ideas for those so I have to jot them down and decide on an appropriate time and format. This is becoming even more necessary as I branch out into zines and other websites.

For fiction, I don’t have a schedule. I write that when I want/need to. It’s my relaxation time!

10. Do you want to be published?

That is the dream! Though it’s not the reason I write fiction, I’d love for a story to be shared with the world one day, for just one or two people to pick my book of a library shelf and find some tiny piece that they connect with. However, this will involve me having the confidence and the get up and go to actually finish a whole, proper, good book!
As for non-fiction? I’m working on it… (mysterious eyebrows).


Hope you enjoyed this Tag! I really like answering them. Let me know your writing story. Happy Summer! xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)