Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Sunday, 20 July 2014

Food, Glorious Food... Blackcurrant Jam!

We've got an over-abundance of blackcurrants in the garden at the moment--they grow really easily in case anyone wants to give it a go!




The other day, the internet was out so I actually did productive things, one of which was harvesting about two baskets full  of these gorgeous berries and making jam!

Honestly, I didn't put much thought into this. I  just cleaned the berries and got rid of any stalks, dirt and leaves, and chucked them in a big pot with what appeared to be just over an equal quantity of sugar--I know that you have to have at least 50%, if not more, sugar, or it won't... well, jam.




So I mashed some of the blackcurrants up a little and brought the whole thing to the boil. Rather than turning the mix down to simmer as you normally would, you have to leave it bubbling away quite violently, like molten lava, for around fifteen minutes.



And it really is like lava--don't stick your finger or anything else into the pot!

At this point I decided to consult Delia Smith, just in case, and she assured me I was doing the right thing. On her advice, I coated a spoon in the hot jam and let it cool. It formed a firm skin when touched, which meant it was ready!



I sterilised a jar with some boiling water and poured in the warm jam. It was left to cool, before some greasoproof paper was placed on top and the lid was screwed on.



The jam had set within a couple of hours and, to my surprise and delight, it actually looked like jam!



...tasted like jam, too. 


I'm not really sure how long this will last as it's the first time I've made jam properly, and I don't think I sterilised the jar quite so scientifically... but I'm not too worried about that. The stuff is disappearing fairly quick!


2 comments:

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)