Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Thursday, 19 June 2014

Food, Glorious Food... Summer Vegetable Quiche

 I really should stop putting “summer” in front of these titles, since there’s nothing to stop you from cooking them all year round! These are, however, some of my favourite things to enjoy in the summer. I now have lots of free time to spend in the kitchen, and cooking is helping to lift my mood after the exams, so you can expect many more recipes to come. I do hope you’re enjoying them, and let me know if there’s a recipe you’d like to see.

I usually made a Quiche Lorraine, but after a gorgeous vegetarian quiche at a café recently, was inspired to make one of my own, incorporating this lovely Goat’s cheese which my mum bought at the weekend and I highly recommend (why am  suddenly a sales rep???).






I’m not usually a fan of these sort of “fancy” adventurous cheeses, but this one was really nice and creamy, without the pungent flavour that might turn some of you off. Give goat’s cheese a go… I dare you!  

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED…
A quiche dish. I usually use a deep pie dish, but made this one in a ramekin as my favourite pie dish was in use! It was very nice for a deeper quiche.
4 eggs.
Milk (a splash).
One medium onion (I used red)
Four large mushrooms
Half a red pepper
Black pepper
Olive oil
Basil (fresh, a few handfuls, optional but lovely)
3 or 4 cherry tomatoes
A small slice of goat’s cheese (optional)
A cup of cheddar cheese, grated.
100g plain flour
25g butter (or spread, marg etc)
25g lard

…AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO

1)      Preheat the oven to 200°C (180 fan assisted).

2)      Begin by making the pastry. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl, then rub the lard and butter into it. It’s possible to just use butter, but lard makes the pastry crisper. Continue to rub the fat in (holding your hands high up above the bowl to let air in) until the mix resembles breadcrumbs, or the top of a fruit crumble.

3)      Add a splash of water to the bowl and gather the mix with a butter knife until you’ve brought a dough together—use your hand to form it at the end if necessary.

4)      Sprinkle plain flour over the dough, a rolling pin and a chopping board. Roll out the dough until it’s large enough to fit your dish. It needn’t be a perfect shape.

5)      Grease the dish with a little lard or butter and place the pastry inside, making sure it covers all the edges. Don’t panic about how it looks as it will soon be covered.

6)      Prick the pastry with a fork (to prevent it bubbling in the oven) and place it in the oven to cook for 20 mins, until brown.

7)      Now get started on the filling. Chop up the mushrooms, pepper and onion and add them to a frying pan along with the basil leaves. Fry together in a tablespoon of oil for a few minutes until the onions are soft.






8)      In a large jug, beat the eggs together with a splash of milk and the pepper. Add the grated cheese and mix (this will not be a topping as in a traditional quiche—we’re going to decorate ours instead).







9)      When the pastry shell is ready, remove it from the oven (carefully!) and transfer the cooked veg onto the pastry. Then pour the egg mixture on top.

10)   Halve the tomatoes and cut small pieces from the wedge of goat’s cheese, if you’re using it. Place them in a ring, floating on top of the quiche as shown. Do so gently to ensure they don’t sink!









11)   Put the quiche in the oven and cook for 30—40 mins, or until the egg is totally solid.





Serve with a fresh green salad or eat on its own! This may also be enjoyed cold, perhaps for a picnic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)