Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 1 February 2014

Greetings from my FIERY PIT OF RAGE

Well.

I just don't know what to tell you.

This week, something happened to the hard-drive of my laptop. I'm not entirely sure what--though several people explained it to me--so I will instead use the colloquial term:

It's "bollix-ed".

What does that mean? It means my laptop got to enjoy a spa weekend with my family's computer guy (yes, we have a guy for everything) and has come back spruced up and relaxed with new Windows 8... which despite enjoying on my phone, I keep getting lost in on the laptop! I spent the last five minutes stuck in "settings" with no way out because apparently that little "x" in the top left corner of the screen is too mainstream. Obvious buttons have no place in the hipster live-tile Windows 8. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to it in no time. First task: find out how to change the theme to "pink". Because that just makes everything better.

Unfortunately, while the laptop has survived, my files have not. That's all my school notes for the leaving cert in all seven subjects, essays, you name it. I had some but not all of this printed. I've lost my voice-recordings of the Sraith Pictiuiri.... not that they were ever gonna make it to number one on the airplay charts, but they were helpful to me.

Also gone are all my pictures of amazing days with Bambi, Crow, Phoenix and Wolf, as well as tons of other friends (Well, OK, a few other friends...) and my family.

But worst of all?

Worst of all is the huge chunk of writing I've lost. As well as blogging, I write a lot of fiction. None of it makes up a finished novel, or even novella. None of it was of publishing quality.

But it was mine. They were my stories, my characters, my scenes, my funny little jokes that I laughed at after I'd written them... and now everything, save from my scraps of paper in a box labelled "writing", my notebooks and the memory stick last updated in 2012... everything has gone.
On top of that, the five posts I had ready to go here at Unlucky For Some.

I did what any reasonable, intelligent young woman would do.

I cried.

I threw some things.

I tore some paper into tiny pieces.

I told everyone to LEEEEEAVE ME ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!

And then I decided not to think of this as an ending, but as a beginning.

If you want to find out more, I'm going to write a guest post on www.dearsaul.wordpress.com about it very soon!

In the meantime, if anyone asks me "Why didn't you just back up all your files?" I will be a TAD unhappy.

With lots of love from my fiery pit of rage,

Catherine Ann x

2 comments:

  1. Oh god! :( my laptop in banjaxed itself and it's so frustrating especially as I paid €60 to have it fixed and it came back with 4 problems when it only had on minor one :(
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so awful when that happens! I can sympathise: got mine from people who recondition computers... Or THINK they do ;)
      hope you're getting on ok with it now!!

      Delete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)