Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 25 January 2014

2013... Unlucky For Me?

So yesterday, I surpassed 10,000 views here on my blog.

Wow.

I began this blog on St. Patrick’s weekend last year. I’ve always loved making up stories, and I’ve been writing prolifically since the age of about twelve, but it was always something I was really shy about.
Then in September 2012 I met Bambi, and we started swapping bits and pieces of our writing. One day, I decided to write a piece especially for her. This was when the idea of writing for people actually came to my head.

I hit upon the idea of a blog soon after that, but it took me a while to put it into action. When I finally did, I wasn’t really sure what it was going to be. I just uploaded a few recipes, wrote a little bit about myself, then school, then happiness.... and suddenly, for some reason, people were actually reading it. It began to be more than just my friends refreshing the page. There were stumblers-upon, friends of friends, people who genuinely wanted to read what I had to say. And when I mentioned it to people, they didn’t say, “You weirdo!” They said “You have a blog? That’s so cool, I’d love to see it!”

So thank you all for that! Writing is what I love most in the world, so I can’t tell you how amazing it feels to be read.

I called my blog “2013, Unlucky for Some” and I’m often asked why. Doesn’t it seem quite a pessimistic title? Well, yes and no. Everyone said 2013 was going to be an “unlucky” year. But when I began 2013, I had this lovely group of new friends and had just finished with the lead role in my school play. It was set to be a pretty nice year. So I decided to make my blog about whether or not it would be unlucky. It was to be written by a teenager, aimed mainly at teenagers, documenting the highs and lows of 2013 and how I’ve dealt with them. I wanted to stray a bit from the stereotype that teenagers think their lives “suck”, but I also wanted to maintain that we sometimes do take that attitude! As I always say, a stereotype has to come from somewhere!

My conclusion? 2013: Overall, a decidedly lucky year.

I honestly had no idea that this blog would have such a wonderful reception. It’s led to me being interviewed for local radio, participating in research for TV3, and writing for www.spunout.ie and www.foroige.ie. It has also helped me to come out of my shell and make some amazing new friends, whether directly or indirectly!

Again, thank you all so much for your support. I love seeing my views increase, and when people leave comments, or message me, or like the Facebook page, follow me on Twitter or even come up to me at school and tell me they like it... well, it means the world, and if it didn’t happen I probably wouldn’t be doing this after nearly ten months—that’s a lifetime in teenage years, by the way.


So, now we’re at this milestone (I remember getting so excited about 100!), I’m going to reveal a little surprise for all of you, and then offer a treat.

Another question posed to me about the title was: “What are you going to do when 2013 is over?”

Short answer: I never expected to get this far!

Long answer: Once I realised that this was something I’m very passionate about, I began to plan past just a year or so of blogging. Writing is something I’m going to do for the rest of my life—I can’t imagine not being a writer—and blogging has become a huge part of that.

So I’ve claimed the domain name www.catherineannminnock.blogspot.ie, and it’s going to be my new website as of September, 2014. It’s going to be called “The *something* Diaries”, I think, depending on where I end up going to university. It will largely detail my journey into a new place, new  uni, new friends...

That’s where you come in, loyal readers.

When I began blogging, I didn’t want it to be about me. I wanted it to be about you. This is not my diary where I talk about myself all the time. It’s not my place to vent my frustration—why should you have to listen to that? When I do speak about negative experiences, I tend to do so after I’ve come through them so you can at least learn something. I also try not to give away too much. You don’t come here to read about my issues, and I doubt you’re that interested in the ins and outs of my personal life.

But I have found that some of my most popular posts are the ones where I talk about my feelings; make them a little more personal.

What do you think my new site should be like? Do you want more of those opinion pieces, more recipes and craft, more about school etc... or maybe even more of my unsolicited advice on things I know nothing about?

Also, how much do you want it to be made of words? Perhaps you’d like more pictures? Or would you be interested to witness my first foray into the world of vlogging, perhaps?

I need to know, because I want to plan this out properly and do it right. “Unlucky for Some” has been a great experience, and has afforded me the chance to practise, but this time I want to get it right. Perfect. 
Professional, even.

 So if you have any opinion at all, please tell me. Leave a comment, email, run up to me in the street, I don’t care. I might even make a survey or something. I just need your help to make my new adventure your new adventure, too. What were your favourite themes in2013? What do you dislike about the blog? What would you like to see more of?  Is there anything about me you’d like to know?

Also, if anyone is interested in lending a hand, it would be more than welcome. This can come in the form of ideas, pictures, help with videos, maybe even content at some stage.

...which brings me on to my little treat.

It’s another competition, in celebration of 10,000 views!

A writing one, this time.

I want you to write a blog post for Unlucky for Some, entitled: “2013: Unlucky for me?”

Was last year good for you, bad for you, or did it twist and turn? How did it begin and end? What lessons did you learn? You can write anything you want really: it doesn’t even have to be true. Size-wise, I’m not one to talk (Mrs. Rambler), but try to keep it the size of an average blog post. I’m not going to be too strict about that.

This time, I think I’ll pick a novel as a prize and I’m going to try and open the competition to as many people as I can.

I’ll let you know more details in the coming week!

With much excitement, many thanks, and lots of love,

Catherine Ann Minnock,

Un-Professional Blogger. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)