Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Tuesday, 24 December 2013

Blogmas #6: The Icing on the Cake!

Hey guys!

Just a short post today, because I don't want to be tied up on this most special of all the "Eve"s...

I'll actually talk about Christmas Eve in a few days time, because well, it hasn't happened yet. Think of my posts on a 24 hour + delay... so this post is about something I did last night...

Are we all suitably confused? Wonderful. Then I'll begin...

I posted a few weeks ago about my Christmas cake, which had been baked back in November. Yesterday night, it was finally time.

Time for ICING!

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Christmas cake. I'll eat a little slice of the fruit cake very happily, but things like marzipan and lots of icing aren't really my cup of tea.

So why do I go to so much trouble?

I suppose it's to treat my family... and because decorating a Christmas cake gives me that warm glowing feeling inside... and because IT'S CHRISTMAS.

I'm totally obsessed with tradition, too, and I don't like change one bit...

So I got on with it.

First, I heated apricot jam and spread it all over the cake. Then I draped a thin layer of marzipan over the top. There aren't any pictures of that process because I'm ashamed of the total mess of it I made this year... Turns out, you can't marzipan a cake and watch a movie at the same time!

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I then made the royal icing by whisking together 4 egg whites and 500g icing sugar, with a spoonful of glycerine to make it really shine. Then I smoothed this over the cake. We always use royal icing as my dad hates fondant, and I love the "snowy" effect it gives.

I had some black fondant that needed using up, and it gave me an idea. I fashioned a half cylinder and made grooves with a fork to look like a tree trunk. I then made small "branches" by rolling more fondant and flattened the whole thing with a rolling pin on some greaseproof paper. I then transferred it onto the cake. I stuck a robin ornament we've had for ages on one of the branches and finished with little fondant footprints and a gold ribbon round the cake.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty proud of it. Here's to trying something new!



Hope you've enjoyed the post. One more sleep! xxx

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad you like it! Having seen your masterpieces, that means a lot! We've since tucked into the cake and I can say that it tasted just as good as it looked ;)

      Delete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)