Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Saturday, 13 July 2013

Insert Crafty Pun Here...

Hello! So, as most of you are aware, I am a teenager. Teenagers often find themselves broke: in my opinion, it’s par for the course and the way it should be. As most of you may also be aware, I have some really lovely friends. And when you have great friends, occasionally you have to remind them how great they are. A lovely way to do this is by giving a gift...

These two points combined seem rather problematic... until you realise that there’s a way round everything if you look hard enough. I love making my friends hand-made, personal gifts. I also love making my own stuff, too, as I’ve never been one who wants to be the same as everyone else.

Being able to bake is a great blessing as it means you can always treat your friends to something special (see Crow’s birthday cupcakes), but lately I’ve become really interested in crafts, too.

I think DIY and craft is something everyone can do because there's such a huge list of options available. I know Duchess is a dab hand at sewing, Bambi makes her own inspirational quote cards (which feature as a prize in the art competition), and I like to try a bit of everything.

Today I want to talk about bracelets I made for my girlfriends last Christmas. I bought all the materials on Ebay: glass beads, charms depending on what each girl was interested in, lobster clasps, crimping beads, rings and bracelet wire. I bought most of this stuff from a store called Beadbubble, which was great for me because they're based in Cork so postage was low, but you can find things like this fairly cheap from anywhere. I’d recommend investing in some kind of “bracelet starter kit” which will contain the basics you need to attach clasps and rings, so that you know just what to do. After that, let your imagination run wild! I found some charms in the shape of cupcakes, guitars and flowers, but you can find almost anything. Where I used wire, you can also use chain or cord. Where I used glass beads, you can find wooden or clay varieties. Have fun shopping around and see what you can come up with! The girls loved their bracelets as I’d made one unique for all of them. Granted, Bambi’s broke the second she tried it on, but it’s all part of the learning curve! My next challenge will be to create something for the boys in my life. Perhaps I’ll use black cord and some kind of metal beads or charms.

I found making the bracelets to be a really fun experiment and I learned a lot, too! It’s a skill you can adapt for lots of different occasions and I’d encourage anyone to give it a go. The beauty is that wholesale materials are cheap as chips, so if you find it’s not for you, you won’t have wasted all your cash! I’ve even got some left over beads I’m giving to Bambi which she could use for her cards!

Tomorrow I’ll show you some pictures of beautiful gifts sewn for me and my mum by Duchess, if that’s more your thing.

If you feel like giving DIY and crafts a go in the meantime, here are a few places to start:

Pinterest is full of pinboards where craft enthusiasts have collected their favourite projects, and I found it to be a great place to start. I’m hoping to add a DIY pinboard to my account soon, so be sure to follow me at http://pinterest.com/catherineannmk/! It was there that I discovered...

 Creating Laura, whose blog I shared last week. It’s full of projects and she’s always happy to help!

Superscrimpers has to be a favourite TV show of mine. It airs on the British Channel 4. I'm not sure where else it can be viewed, but you can find info on www.channel4.com. It’s a show dedicated to impartial money-saving advice, and there are invariable little tutorials on how to revamp old clothes or make decorations, one of which I’ll be showing you later on.

DIY—It’s Easier Than You Think is a page on Facebook dedicated to picture tutorials on how to make your own... well, everything. There’s a great variety to look through and I’d highly recommend liking the page for updates and inspiration!

Hope that’s inspired some of you to do stuff yourself, and I promise I’ll have a crafty pun ready to title tomorrow’s post! I also believe I promised some of you another recipe... See you soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)