Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Friday, 26 July 2013

Food, Glorious Food... A Berry Tasty Treat!

Hey there!
I have got another craft idea for you guys today, but I whipped something up for dessert last night that was positively scrumptious and couldn’t wait to share it with you!

If you’re a regular reader/friend, you probably know that my back garden is full to bursting this time of year with the delicious fruit and veg my dad’s been growing for about four years now. I'll put a little collection of pictures up soon so you can see it in all it’s glory!

One crop that’s been a great success this year has been his blackcurrants. This is probably the second year they’ve grown well... and for the past week it’s been drooping under the weight of the gorgeous berries.

Blackcurrants are said to contain three times as much vitamin C as an orange! 100g of the pretty purple fruit contains five times your recommended daily allowance! (And as vitamin C’s water-soluble, don’t worry about having too much!) They’re also chock-full of anti-oxidants:  wonderful for the skin, for those of you who were interested in eating yourself beautiful!

I was stuck for something to do with these berries as I’ve never cooked them before: I know they’re delicious on cheesecake, but that’s something which throughout history I’ve failed epically at.

Instead, I found something to whip up in about five seconds, and it was so tasty!



I put three or four handfuls of blackcurrants in a saucepan with two tablespoons of sugar and a few drops of water, turning the heat up high to get a syrup going. I stirred occasionally and while this was bubbling away, turning into a crimson gooey gloriousness, I crumbled up three rich tea biscuits into each of four wine glasses. I have a feeling that digestives would be even tastier!

All that was left after that was to top with ice-cream and garnish with a few fresh berries.


Maybe not the healthiest or lowest in fat... but we all got plenty of vitamin C  last night, and enjoyed it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)