Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Thursday, 6 June 2013

Food, Glorious Food... Chocolate Chip Cookies!

I’m estimating it at about four years. That’s the amount of time I spent actively looking for a cookie recipe that was chewy and perfect—you have no idea how hard it is to find one that doesn’t end up too crunchy, or melt together like a cake. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll eat all the failed experiments, but when I finally found a recipe in a Kenwood cookbook, I was ecstatic... as were my friends, I think. I’ve just changed one or two things to make this recipe parfait pour moi!

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED...
100g (4 oz) Butter or Baking Spread
75g (3 oz) Dark Brown Sugar
75g (3 oz) Granulated White Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Egg
150g (6 oz) Plain Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
100g (4 oz) Milk Chocolate Chips (I use Dr. Oetker. Rest assured they’re not paying me for this... though really they should... it’s just that I know how hard it can be to find the right brand. 100g works out at one packet minus a few for oneself!)

...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1) Cream together the butter and both sugars in a nice roomy mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
2) Beat in the egg with the vanilla and a little flour.
3) Add in the rest of the flour along with the baking powder and mix. I rarely feel the need to sift. This is the twenty-first century, for goodness’ sake.
4) Add in the salt. Now, I know you might fancy skipping this step. Salt’s really bad for you, and we all have too much in our diets anyway. My family’s pretty strict about it and I usually leave it out of recipes. But these cookies have a lovely butterscotch kind of flavour which can only be achieved by that balance of sweet and salt. So go on, just this once...
5) Eat a maximum of five chocolate chips and stir in the rest. Spoon out teaspoonfuls of the mix onto a greased, lined baking tray. Space them apart as they’ll flatten out a lot. I usually fit about six on a tray, so have to bake them in batches.
6) Bake at 200°C for around 12 minutes. They might be a little soft when you take them out, but remove from the tray with a fish slice and cool on a wire rack and they’ll firm up in no time.

7) Make a pot of tea and watch as everyone around slowly falls in love with you. You’re welcome. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to complain about your recipe. Got to step 5, had the cookie dough prepared, then caved and ate it. Recipes shouldn't end like that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or maybe that's how all recipes SHOULD end! I'm afraid I can't accept any liability for cookie dough being so deliciously tempting. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)