Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Sunday, 28 April 2013

School... The Best Days of Our Lives?


So here’s what happened. The anecdote, if you will. I decided I would be clever and try and increase my page traffic by naming my posts something people would be likely to search for on the old interweb. Whether this was a stupid idea or not can be discussed in the comments if you wish. So anyway, I start typing random letters into Google to see what comes up. I’m thinking about that thing, “I hate when Voldemort uses my shampoo”, so I start to type in “I hate”. Before I even get past the ‘a’, look what happens:





That’s right, everyone. Searched for most frequently on Google, before Martin Luther King’s iconic speech, is the phrase “I hate school.”

How depressing is that? As I’ve said before, school is a place we’re going to be spending a lot of our time. The fact that so many people hate it enough to google the damn thing really upsets me. How unhappy must all these people be?

Now, I know what you’re going to say. Teenagers hate everything. And even I will admit that sometimes it’s true. But for most of us, the whole period of our schooling is not spent engulfed in angst, and people are still hating school when reasonably level-headed. The long and the short of it is, in my opinion, that something must be wrong.

If this is the case... surely we can fix it? For instance, fifty years ago, if you hated school it was probably because you were being hit across the palm with a hazel rod. That’s changed, hasn’t it? I hope it has. 
Actually, if it hasn’t and this is still a reason for you, you should probably go to the police.

Anyway, there must be something we can do to stop kids hating school.

Over the next week I’m going to be doing a little research. I’ll be asking people if they really do hate school, and if so, why so. At the end of the week, I’ll publish the list here at Unlucky For Some, along with some suggested solutions.

If this is going to work, I’ll need your help. I need you guys to email me at catherineann.mk@gmail.com, or leave a comment, or if you know me in person just talk to me, and tell me why you think that school is such a worry for so many teens. Even if you’re not in school, can you remember what it was like?

Come on everyone, let’s see if we can’t fix this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)