Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Wednesday, 27 March 2013

Food, Glorious Food... Chocolate Fudge Brownies!



Here’s my recipe for scrummy chocolate brownies! I noticed most recipes require you to already have chocolate but to be honest, brownies are something I bake when I’m desperate for a fix and there’s no chocolate in the house. I was thereby forced to come up with my own recipe using cocoa powder. They don’t contain nuts as I find this takes from the chocolatey fudgey deliciousness, but if you prefer you could add hazelnuts or chopped pecans.

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
2 eggs
250g/ 10oz dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
125g/ 5oz butter
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder (I recommend Bourneville)
90g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon of instant coffee

...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2) Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl together with the sugar.
3) Melt the butter. This can be done in a cup in the microwave (carefully, about 20 seconds at a time in case it burns) or in a Bain-Marie, which is when you heat a pan of water and melt the butter in a bowl over it, stirring continuously.
4) Add the melted butter and vanilla essence to the eggs and sugar.


5) Sieve the flour, cocoa and instant coffee. The coffee along with the vanilla will really bring out the flavour of the chocolate.
6) Beat the mixture until thick and bubbly, like so...



7) Pour it into a greased tin (an 18cm square tin is ideal but I generally use two loaf tins) and bake for 40 minutes.
8) Cut the brownies into squares or perhaps fingers if you used a loaf tin. Can be enjoyed hot with ice-cream or cold with a cup of tea. They will keep for about two days in an airtight tin or Tupperware box.





2 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to try these! Keep the recipes coming please :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do! I'm hoping to move onto a different theme next the week, so I'll probably be cooking like crazy in the meantime! Food will always be revisited though! :) xx

      Delete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)