Come Join Me Over Here!

Hi there!

I'm glad you've come to read my blog, but unfortunately I don't live here any more!

Feel free to trawl through my archives or look up my posts on Scoliosis which will always be at home here, but when you're ready please come and join me at my new home:


See you there!

Catherine Ann x

Monday, 18 March 2013

Food, Glorious Food... Bread and Butter Pudding



I’ve decided that as it’s almost Easter, that delightful period of greed between Christmas gluttony and summer holiday nibbling, I’m going to choose food as my first theme. I’m passionate about cooking, so over the next week or so I’ll be sharing some of my recipes and tips for the kitchen.

I always like to take holidays as a chance to try new recipes that maybe I wouldn't have time to cook otherwise—you know, the ones that say “leave to stand for a decade” or “continue stirring, do not let it out of your sight, even if someone dies”. However if you’re a little less adventurous, I’m going to take this opportunity to share some nice simple recipes which I've been making for ages and always seem to turn out well (fingers crossed). This is going to be pretty dessert-heavy, but only God and Delia Smith can judge me.

First up, it’s what my mum calls “nursery food”, warm and comforting...

Bread and Butter Pudding

HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
(These ingredients are vague, but bear with me. It’s all to do with what size you want.)
A large ovenproof dish (e.g. lasagna dish)
White sliced bread (any will do, this is a great way to use up stale bread), enough to make up two layers in your dish
Butter
Milk
One egg
100g sugar
Raisins

...AND HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1) Preheat the oven (oh, yeah, you need an oven by the way) to 200°C.

2) Grease your dish with a little butter.

3) Butter your bread just like you would for a sandwich.

4) Line the bottom of the dish with bread and sprinkle over as many raisins as you like.  

 5) Add another layer of bread and sprinkle with a few raisins (you can add some grated orange peel if you want to, but this doesn't bode well with certain family members so I tend to leave it out). 


6) Now for the delicious bit... trust me on this. Break the egg into a pint glass/ measuring jug and beat it with the sugar. Then fill the glass up to the top (or fill up to a pint) with milk. At this point, if you like, you could add some of your favourite spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice...) or some vanilla.



7) Pour the mixture all over the bread. If it doesn't look like it’s covering well, you can just add some more milk.



8) Bake for about half an hour until golden and crunchy on top and solid but soft in the middle. Can be eaten hot as dessert, and the cold remains are great to be picked at long into the night. 



Here's how mine turned out! It might not win any beauty contests, but tastes amazing! 


3 comments:

  1. If anyone ends up making this, I'd love to know how it turns out! Perhaps you could send a picture to catherineann.mk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I'm going to try making it! Probably just after Easter though Hugh is off the week before so inevitably there will need to be more food around then...I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks, looks scrummy! x
    P.S. Your recipe just reminded me to put the lasagne in the oven...it has been sitting on the top for about half an hour...dear lord, I need sleep! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it, be sure to send a pic if it turns out well! (or if it doesn't!). Hope you didn't have to wait too long for your lasagne!

    ReplyDelete

Please be sure to leave a comment, I value all kinds of feedback and opinions! I read and reply to every single one, so don't be shy! Come and say hello :)